All of our friends have suggested we try online dating, and we’re totally open to it. There’s just one thing… how do we start? It can be hard to just message a person you don’t know at all. How do you craft the perfect opening message? You want to make sure that you’re memorable and charming, but you don’t want to ruin your first impression. And what if they ignore you? Relax. We’re here to help. These are the best online dating icebreakers to use for a first message:
- Express an interest in something from their profile. You need to send more than just “hey, what’s up?” The best way to do that? Show them you actually read their profile. Start by commenting on or asking questions about something from their profile that caught your eye. This helps to show how you’ll relate to them and that you have something in common.
- Ask their opinion. Most people find it hard to ignore a request for their opinions, so there’s a great chance they’ll respond to you. This breaks the ice and guarantees an ongoing conversation. Start with something like, “how do you feel about _____?” (Tip: fill in the blank with a popular film or TV show, a story in the news, or a topic you both have on your profile.)
- Ask them something silly. Sometimes, it’s best to be a bit silly with online dating icebreakers. There’s no better way than asking a question that will catch someone off-guard and loosen them up. Some great options are things like “Have you ever wondered…?” or “Would you rather…?” They perfectly showcase your personality and lead to a fun conversation.
- Play a game. Most of us prefer not to play games when it comes to dating, but we’re talking about a different kind here. Send your match two truths and a lie, and ask them to do the same! It’s another silly way to strike up a conversation, plus you’ll get to know each other a bit better! Be sure to keep things light though — it is a game after all.
- Ask them about things they want to try. This is a great way to get to know a person’s interests better, and it could also help you plan a date in the future! Find out which restaurants they’re dying to try, and you’ll know where you should go on a date if things lead there. You can ask about anything that suits your interests, like what books they want to read or cities they want to travel to. It’s perfect for follow-ups too. Just ask whether they’ve tried a similar restaurant or read a similar book (and if they have, what they think of it).
- Avoid statements, compliments, or cheesy pick-up lines. Okay, so maybe these aren’t actually online dating icebreakers, but they will help you get more responses to your first message! Sending a message that just says “you’re cute” or “I like your profile” will, at best, lead to a response of “thank you.” That’s why asking a question (that can’t be answered with a yes/no) works so well. As for the cheesy pick-up lines, they’re usually overused and off-putting, so unless you have the greatest one we’ll ever hear, keep it to yourself. (Note: if you do have the greatest pick-up line ever, please share. We’re curious to see what you’ve got.)