Dating is tricky at any age, but it can seem even more daunting as we get older.. Things have certainly changed since dating in your 20s, and it can be helpful to have something to guide you along. In order to assist you in navigating this, we’ve devised some simple dating after 50 rules to follow:
- Don’t bond over baggage. Getting to know someone and bonding over common experiences is the key to beginning any great relationship. But bonding over negative experiences is an unhealthy start. Discussing why your marriage didn’t work or bad online dating experiences isn’t always a bad thing, but it can be. Don’t let your connection rest on the fact that you’ve both been cheated on. Find something more significant, and something more true to who you are as a person, instead of something that merely happened to you.
- Don’t have sex until you’re really ready. We’re not teenagers anymore, and we’re not losing our virginity, so what’s the big deal about sex? Well, it’s different for everybody. Don’t sleep with someone because you’re afraid they’ll lose interest if you don’t. Only do things that you’re actually comfortable with. If you start behaving in ways that don’t feel right, where will that lead you? The last thing you need when starting a relationship is to pretend to be someone you’re not. Wait until the time feels right: a partner who is willing to wait until you’re comfortable is the kind of partner you want to be with.
- Don’t act like a 20 year old. You might start talking to someone you feel you really connect with. Maybe you even go on a date and have a great time. He says he’ll call you, but then he doesn’t. Keep in mind that he might not have felt the same way about you or the date. It happens to everyone. Luckily, there are plenty of other people to match with, and there’s definitely someone you’ll click with more. But don’t keep calling or messaging them. If someone likes you, they’ll make the effort to reach out to you. Whatever you do, don’t start Facebook stalking them and getting down on yourself. Leave that behavior for the 20 year olds — we have better things to use our energy on!
- Find things you like about someone before you begin focusing on what you don’t like. It’s super easy to find a bunch of faults with a person when you first meet them. You immediately start seeing everything that’s wrong with them and write them off. Instead of that, think about the things you actually enjoy about them. You may be surprised to find there’s someone out there for you that isn’t your “type.”
- Always keep a positive attitude. If you approach each date with an open and positive attitude, they’ll all be successful. Not necessarily soulmate-successful, but there’s something valuable to be gained from every date you go on. Even if he’s not Mr. Right, your attitude will make sure you both have the best time possible.
- Remember that the most important thing when it comes to dating is to be yourself. We can list endless dating after 50 rules, but the most important thing to always keep in mind is to be yourself. If you remember that, you won’t end up doing anything you’re uncomfortable with, and you’ll be sure to find someone who really loves you for you.