If you’re offended by our title, you’re missing the point. You are probably single after 50 and wondering: “Why the heck am I still single after 50?” Let’s focus on that. We promise to be honest and direct–like we always are.
Before we start going down our list of plausible or downright-already-happening reasons, let’s make something absolutely clear. We will not be discussing at length divorce, separation and/or death of a spouse after 50. These events–even though categorically critical–happen to most and at different points in time. In other words, all of our reasons are already peppered with these life-changing events. We are choosing to focus on what happens after your life has changed: Why are you single now.
Listen up, never-been-married people. We’re talking to you as well.
- You’re only in it for the looks! Let’s be honest we all have a physical type. We just say we don’t to appear open-minded. However, now more than ever it is imperative to be open-minded. Sexual desire and sex appeal are not just ruled by the eyes. Consider dating someone that is not your first choice looks-wise. Get to know them. Believe us, you’ll eventually find yourself barking or meowing from other sexier attributes.
- You’re all about dollar signs and financial safety nets. Dating over 50 more often than not implies ‘having it together’ or ‘knowing exactly what you want.’ Financial security is also part of this equation. In plainer words, don’t date to be saved financially… It’s cruel and completely unfair to the other person.
- You have ridiculous deal-breakers and someone needs to tell you they’re ridiculous. “They have to love sushi and Ethiopian cuisine.” “They need to have seen every episode of Grey’s Anatomy.” Compatibility is important. Compatibility about everything is not important. Your list of deal-breakers cannot be seven miles long and/or embarrassingly trivial. Your list needs to be a top five that focuses on what’s most important to you today and 50 years from now. What are the specific things you can’t live without and vice versa, i.e. travel, having kids, living in the city, etc.
- You’re not willing to try new ways of meeting different kinds of people. If you haven’t met anyone at your local bar, supermarket or church in years, what are you waiting for? Not only do we recommend going beyond your town, but beyond offline connecting. Nowadays online dating is the most efficient way of meeting new people–especially, if you’re single over 50. You will be surprised how many interesting men and women are online.
- You need a makeover and we’re not just talking about your clothes. Sometimes we just can’t blame the people we’re meeting, the dates we’re having or the online dating sites “sending us” bad matches. We are to blame. No worries, though. Self-reflection and rehearsal are necessary for successful dating. Before you go out on another date, try to find out what went wrong with your last one–even if you have to call the person. Finding out if it was your stories, open-mouth chewing, new hairdo or choice of restaurant is ammunition. Jut one or two quick changes might redirect your entire dating life.
Please let us know if you found these five reasons why you’re still single after 50 helpful. We would not like you to lower your standards and expectations. We would like you to find your best match as soon as possible.