Recently divorced? Recently separated? Recently pissed off at the quality of people at your local watering hole? No worries. We’re here to help. Online dating is a great resource for the recently (and not so recently) single. More than anything, online dating will provide you with a level of specificity and variety unseen in the real world.
Now, if you’ve never used any online dating sites or are currently lost in the online dating vortex, below are five easy online dating tips to get you rolling. Age is definitely not a conclusive factor in online dating, but if you’re over 50… Please pay close attention. Like in traditional dating, online dating over 50 can be a new way of doing things.
- Get over your fears of online dating in general and open your heart and mind. There’s a reason why you’re searching for alternative ways of dating, now embrace it. There is absolutely nothing wrong in complementing your traditional dating life with online dating. Contrary to popular belief, it is safe and produces better matches.
- Find the best online dating site that fits you and your current needs. There are many online dating sites out there, but not all of them are specific to a particular demographic and/or community. That’s why, and especially if you’re over 50, doing your research is important. You don’t want to join an online dating site–even if it’s free–where you’ll never find interesting people your age, near you and with a similar way of life.
- Create an online profile that precisely reflects who you are at this moment in time. Unfortunately, one of the biggest errors that almost every single online dater commits is create an inaccurate profile. There are many things that can go wrong with a profile, but the most popular are (take out your notebook): a dated/blurry/with too many people profile picture, no bio and/or personalized description, incomplete sections, and impolite or offensive language. Please remember that your online profile is your first impression–leave who ever is visiting with a smile on their face.
- Chat. Chat. Chat. If you’re already signed up and getting matches, why are you not starting a chat every other day? Proactivity is crucial in online dating. Even if you’re not completely in love with a match’s profile picture, their personality or background might surprise you. Just like at a bar, you have to go beyond sexy stare-downs and hellos.
- Don’t expect the love of your life in less than an hour. Online dating is not fast food. Love is not a turkey sandwich. In order for you to be successful in online dating, you need to be patient and optimistic. You need to chat with multiple people, go out on several dates, and most importantly, allow yourself to be vulnerable. Your very own Richard Gere or Julia Roberts might not send you a message on day two, but month two.